Pavement patching project to begin on popular Forest Service road FR 618
SEDONA, Ariz., Jan. 31, 2018, For Immediate Release — Beginning next week, contractors will be repairing pot holes and cracks along 1.7 miles of Forest Road 618 between exit 298 off Interstate 17 to approximately Beaver Creek.
FR 618 is heavily used since it is located at the Sedona exit off I-17 and the main forest road that leads to Bell Trailhead, Beaver Creek Picnic and Day Use Area, and V Bar V Heritage Site. Work is scheduled to begin Feb. 5 and is expected to take about a month to complete. People using the section of FR 618 immediately east of I-17 may experience up to 30 minutes of delay at times.
What's in Your Day Pack By Charlie Schudson
1. Heavy-duty, big garbage bags – they become your sleeping bags or, with a torn-open head hole, your rain gear.
2. Wool hat and mini-gloves, even in “warm” weather – they help retain your body heat when, at dusk, temperatures fall (most hypothermic deaths occur not in freezing temperatures, but in the fifties).
3. Waterproof matches.
4. Duct tape (or “duck” tape, for the etymologically pure). What for? Everything, of course (like holding the old soles that just came off those old boots you should have replaced long ago).
5. Cordage – at least one of those fashionably braided bracelets that unravel to become life-saving straps.
- Red Rock News - February 23, 2018
Ambling Along the Adobe Jack Trail
I’m a part-time resident of the Village of Oak Creek, recently returning to the area after my summer in New York. I absolutely enjoy the fabulous weather here during this time of year. What better way is there to enjoy it than to take a hike? I’m a member of the Sedona Westerners hiking club, which has several groups that venture out on hikes of varying difficulty in the greater Sedona area. The Amblers hiking group, as the name suggests, chooses hikes that are considered easy to moderate and they go out every Thursday at 9 a.m.
This hike that we recently went on is known as the Adobe Jack North/Grand Central/Ant Hill Loop. The Amblers met at Posse Grounds Park ...