A New Hiking Season Has Begun!
Here is an update on our new season, now underway:
Welcoming Our New Season
Precautions for the New Hiking Season
To keep our hikers safe in the new season, special precautions are in effect.
1. The Board of Directors established a COVID-19 committee to review the hike rules and requirements in light of the current pandemic... Dear Westerners
2. Brief Summary of Recommendations... Recommendations
3. Hiking Rules and Precautions Specific to COVID-19... Covid-19 Rules
4. Our New Hike Sign-In Sheet... New Sign-In
5. If an Active Member Tests Positive for COVID-19... Covid-Positive Hiker
2020 - 2021 Membership
Go to the Membership page to sign up
FLAGSTAFF ROAD STATUS
Please read the Forest Service Road Status
Hiking Related Medical Problems
Hiking Related Medical Problems by Dr. Curt Kommer
From blisters to snake bites, learn how to be prepared to prevent and treat medical problems that can happen when you are hiking. The information shared by Dr. Curt Kommer can help you make quick decisions when faced with injuries of yourself, a fellow hiker, or someone you run into on the trails. Please read and download a copy to reference at the beginning of each Hiking Season.
Northern Arizona Forests Wildfires
Wildfire Update — Please be aware of the updates for Kaibab National Forest Updates for Wildfires.
Please Click the following to connect to Kaibab National Forest Website
- Red Rock News - May 22, 2020
How to Solo Hike Safely in Sedona
Hiking provides a great way to enjoy the beautiful Sedona scenery while exercising and socializing with great friends. There are times though when enjoying solitude for self-contemplating, traveling at one’s own pace and having the joy of going out for a spontaneous trip is a wonderful way to travel the great Sedona scenery.
Here are few points to consider for the novice solo hiker before embarking on a solo hiking trip.
1) Identify what type of hiker you are: what type of trail do you prefer, what is your hiking skill level? Can you follow trail signs? Do you know how to use a map? What type of terrain are you comfortable hiking? 2) Pick a trail within your abilities. When you are first acquiring your solo hiking skills, ...